"Merry Meet and Blessed Be!"

Live Life and Love Every Minute!

Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Importance of Image

I have had several people in my area ask about how I dress or don't dress and how I act. I feel that as a real witch it is my duty to dispel the myth and fraud of Witchcraft that has been created by both Hollywood and other individuals who just want attention. But more so I have an image to up hold as a pagan mother!
Though things have changed for us as a people there is still the dogma attached to the name "witch" that has been issued by others against us. I want others to see me as a good person and as an even better mom. The name witch has been made to be seen as someone evil who murders children and animals for fun. This is not true in the least bit. So being a mother I want to be someone my children and the children of others can look up to. I don't want others to think I am an evil person or to fear me. I have taught my children acceptance and allowed them to form their own religious beliefs. I've also gone to great lengths to teach them what a witch really is. I've had to contend with movies like The Wizard of Oz and Harry Potter, both being really good fiction, but just that FICTION. I have explained to them that the witches in OZ are actually based on an old idea put out in plays and movies for entertainment. I have had to explain to them that magic and witchcraft does not work for us like it does for Harry Potter! Oh if it did I wouldn't spend so much time cleaning! I will explain to anyone, willing to hear reason, that Witchcraft and Wicca are a religion based on the worship of nature and the universe. We have a belief that you get back what you send out, good or bad. It is important to us, as a people, to educate others who have been taught the wrong thing about us, not only through speaking to them but also with our actions. How we dress is up to our personalities not a stereo type. I don't wear all black and heavy make up because I'm 35 and way past that stage! The funniest conversation I have heard to date on how a witch dresses was after putting together a black dress with a conical hat and pointy shoes for a costume party. My children found them in my closet and were arguing that it was a "witch uniform" that I kept hidden like superman! I want to dress the way I want to dress. I don't like attention and don't feel the need to stand out. I find it humorous when someone new finds out I am a witch and they comment that I don't dress like one! Well not all Christians dress like monks, nuns, and priests do they? I listen to a lot of music just because I was raised by parents who loved music! I don't listen to all heavy metal, death rock because it gives me a headache!
So from a witch's stance my image is important to me, to be myself, and also to try to stop the belief that all witches are black wearing, death metal blasting, attention lovers, some of us are quiet suburban mom's in the carpool lane wearing the latest fashions blasting Taylor Swift!
Blessed be,
Lady Alicee